My posts try to demonstrate how framing works, but what are the basic principles of framing? I sum them up like this:
- Identify the values at stake in the issue.
- Identify and avoid using your opponents’ frames.
- Communicate the facts in terms of your values.
In time, you will get comfortable talking about right and wrong.
I’ll add more specific suggestions below as they come to me:
- When your opponents demand “freedom,” point out the need for responsibility and accountability. Regulation of deadly weapons is an example of such an issue.
- Sometimes calls for “freedom” (e.g. “religious freedom” bills) are really calls for the power to take away the rights of others. When this is the case, say so.